of New York, Inc.
The Folk Music Society of NY, Inc is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit, all volunteer
organization that has been in continuous operation since 1965
(aka) New York
Folk Music Club
Would you like to be presented in one of our
events? We run concerts, weekends, classes, singing parties,
and get-togethers, all with an emphasis on traditional folk music of
various flavors. Our concerts include a series of five main
concerts and a number of smaller events, including house
concerts. The house concerts depend upon the availability of
members who are able to offer their houses for intimate performances.
- Our season runs from September through June. July
and August have very limited opportunities for concerts as we find that
members of our organization and general audience are away.
- As mentioned previously, we are a tradition oriented
organization both in content and presentation. We assume that
you sing and/or play traditional music or, if you are a
singer-songwriter, your material has traditional sound or content.
- We present acoustic music.
- Each year we present:
- better known performers in five main series concerts and occasional special concerts
- lesser known performers in a few small venues and house
- 2 residential weekends (spring and fall) outside of NYC
where performers present workshops and give evening concerts.
What should you submit?
- An audio recording, preferably of a live performance, for
the program committee to consider. If you only have a studio
CD you may send it to us, however it may not give us a clear idea of
audience reaction/participation. Also, CDs may have
additional musicians/singers that would not be performing with you in
concert and we prefer to hear what our audiences would hear.
A DVD of a live performance, similar to the one you would do for us, is
- Please don’t ask us to listen to you through a link to your
website or someone else’s website. We find that the quality
is often poor or inaccessible to the booking folks who need to hear
your music. (Links can be so confusing that once we wound up
listening to someone else’s songs.)
- Typically, we book 9-12 months in advance. We may
be able to fit you into our schedule with less notice, so do ask, but
please understand that it is not generally possible. Note that
our newsletter comes out monthly and it is impossible to book anyone
unless there is enough time to get the program into the newsletter.
- If we decide to offer you an opportunity to perform, it may
not even be within 12 months. The Program Committee develops
each year’s program based not only on performer availability, but on
how all the programs fit together to provide a wide variety of content
and types of music for our members. So please be patient.
- We cannot promise to contact you if we have decided not to
offer you an opportunity to perform, and we cannot return your CDs or
other items. If you provide an email address with your
materials, we will make every attempt to send you a short email when we
receive your materials.
to top of page ... to main FMSNY page ... to FMSNY contact page
- You can get a better idea of our organization by looking at
our newsletter and website. Upon request, we will send a free
newsletter to you. Our newsletter lists our own events and
the events of other organizations and venues around town.
- If we cannot book you for an event, but if you are in New
York City or near one of our events outside NYC, please feel free to
come to any of our events, singing parties as well as
concerts. We’d love to meet you.
- We will keep your information on file, but feel free to
update it as necessary.
- Please send your materials to:
FMSNY Program Committee
c/o Heather Wood
444 W 54th Street #7,
New York NY 10019 [USA]
- If you need an e-mail contact, you can
contact our program chair.